WHAT WE DO
Based in Riverside, CT, English Gardens & Designs works across Greenwich and Fairfield country to design, install and maintain residential gardens, often with a flair of “Englishness”
Sandy Lindy, founder/owner:
Designing a garden for a client is an honor and a pleasure. I like to meet with my clients to discuss their needs, wants, how the garden will be used etc. This allows me to propose a garden design that will reflect and hopefully exceed my client’s expectations.
As the owner, I will be on site with my well-trained crew to create gardens of all sizes, each one totally unique, like it’s owner.
I offer a full range of services ranging from design, installation, to regular maintenance. Through my curated set of quality contractors I can also manage several other aspects your property needs including irrigation, lighting, tree work, masonry, hardscaping and any other requirement(s) you may have. Gardens are not created overnight, and I recommend developing your garden in phases with different installations over time to suit your budget and evolving taste and preferences.
I am particularly committed to preserving the environment and, where possible, endeavor to design gardens with a view to improving habitat, conserving resources and using sustainable organic materials. I appreciate how important sustainable landscaping is to the future. I also support local businesses by supplying plants and materials from nearby, high quality nurseries, providing the best plants for my clients.
I am a member of the Royal Horticulture Society, The National Trust/Royal Oak Society, Chelsea Physic Garden, The Federated Garden Club of Connecticut, Riverside Garden Club and The New York Botanical Gardens where I serve on the Landscape Design Student Alumni Board.
Together with my husband Hans I also own and operate Glorious Garden Tours, a CT registered tour operator providing curated garden tours to Europe. Check us out on gloriousgardentours.com or Instagram @gloriousgardentours.
To create an outdoor space that delights and enhances your life, providing a garden of beauty and wellbeing.
To create stunning gardens with an English flair, where one’s senses are engaged and where one can relax, entertain or just enjoy the view.
VIEW SOME OF OUR MOST RECENT WORK
Here you can find the latest and greatest in garden design!
- Wildlife in the Garden
- Vegetable Gardens
- Shade Gardens
- Screening Gardens
WHO WE ARE
MEET THE TEAM
Sandy Lindh, Landscape Designer and owner of English Gardens & Designs LLC.
Sandy is an experienced landscape garden designer who moved to Riverside in 2004 from Royal Berkshire in England. She has always had a passion for gardening, especially English gardens and Topiary. Sandy received her formal Landscape Design training with The New York Botanical Gardens, but prior to that she spent many years creating gardens in her native England. Sandy has traveled extensively in England, the US, Europe, Asia, and Australia to broaden her landscape knowledge and to gather ideas, which she uses in her garden designs today. Sandy’s particular passion is boxwood knot gardens, topiary, herb gardens, organic vegetable gardens, mazes, ornamental potagers and formal gardens. As a member of the Royal Horticultural Society, The National Trust and the Royal Oak, she frequently visits beautiful gardens in the UK, and keeps abreast of the latest garden design fashions by regularly attending the Chelsea Flower Show in London and various gardening courses and events in the US and the UK. Sandy takes great pride in designing and taking care of her clients’ gardens, and will often ‘pop in’ to check on the gardens and to make sure that everything is in good shape.
WE TAKE PRIDE IN EXCELLENCE
English Gardens & Designs specializes in mid to large-size residential landscaping, offering all phases of design, installation and project management including:
- Complete Landscape Design
- Design Consultation
- Master Plans & Drawings
- Tree and arbor work
- Stone and masonry work (walls, patios, paths, etc.)
- Irrigation and lighting
- Ponds and water features
- Boxwood Topiary Gardens
- Knot Gardens and Parterre Gardens
- Organic Vegetable and Herb Gardens
- Seasonal Container, Planters & Hanging Baskets (e.g. Thanksgiving and Holiday Decorations)
- Garden “One to One” Personal Training
- Garden lectures to Clubs and organizations
“All provided with a touch of Englishness”
Step 1 - Book A Meeting
Call or email Sandy to arrange an initial meeting, and a walk through of your garden to discuss your needs and wants.
You can explain all your hopes and dreams for your outdoor space and we will give suggestions and ideas. At this time it would be useful to have a copy of your site survey or plot plan, if available.
Cell: 203 273 9334. Email: [email protected]
Step 2 - Follow-up Meeting and Quote
From the information you have provided we will prepare an estimate for the next stage of the process, which can either be:-
- an itemized quote for the work to be done, and/or
- a landscape plan/drawing
We will present our ideas so that we may discuss the design concept and review the proposed next steps and estimated costs together. At this point we will also show you examples of our previous work using photos of past jobs.
We will then walk around the garden and we will explain in more detail how the proposed concept will come to fruition. Based on our conversation, we will make adjustments to make sure that the final project fits both your goals and budget.
Step 3 - Finalize Plan
Once you are happy with the new design quote it is time to sign an agreement and send in a deposit. Upon receipt of the deposit, we will agree a start date.
Step 4 - Installation
Sandy will be on-site with the crew to lay out the design, place the plants and closely monitor the installation. Sandy will always be available to handle any questions that may arise during the installation, and will regularly update you on the progress. In the event that you would like to consider additional designs or plants, Sandy would be happy to provide an updated quote.
Step 5 - Completion
Once the job is complete, Sandy will walk you through your new garden and answer any questions, explaining how to care for the plants, etc. Once you are happy, the final invoice will be issued.
Step 6 - Ongoing Maintenance
After your new garden has been installed, we would be very happy to provide a monthly maintenance service taking care of the new plants, providing spring and fall clean-up, spring and winter pruning, fertilizing, composting and bulb planting.
GET IN TOUCH
Questions? Use the form below
SANDY’S RECOMMENDED GARDENS TO VISIT AROUND THE WORLD
LEARN MORE AT GLORIOUS GARDEN TOURS
GARDENS TO VISIT
- Hidcote Manor Garden, Cotswolds
- Kifsgate Court Gardens, Cotswolds
- Sezincote Gardens, Cotswolds
- Sissinghurst Castle Garden, Kent
- Cliveden Gardens, Berkshire
- Englefield House Garden, Berkshire
- The Vyne Garden, Hampshire
- Highclere Castle and Garden (Downton Abbey) Berkshire
- Stourhead Garden, Wiltshire
- Great Dixter Garden, East Sussex
- Scotney Castle Garden, Kent
- Chenies Manor House and Garden, Buckinghamshire
- Stowe Landscape Gardens, Buckinghamshire
- Hinton Ampner Gardens, Hampshire
- West Green Garden, Hampshire
- Blenheim Palace Garden, Woodstock, Oxfordshire
- Rousham House and Garden, Oxfordshire
- Greys Court Garden, Oxfordshire
- Overbeck’s Garden, Devon
- Rodmarton Manor Garden, Gloucestershire
- Bourton House Garden, Gloucestershire
- Hampton Court Palace Garden, Surrey
- Painshill Park, Surrey
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Surrey
- Savill Garden and Valley Garden, Surrey
- Wisley Gardens, Surrey
- Folly Farm, Berkshire
- Hestercombe House Gardens, Somerset
- Great Fosters Hotel Garden, Surrey
- Gertude Jekyll Garden, Munstead Wood, Godalming, Surrey
- Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire
- Middleton Place, Charleston, South Carolina
- Magnolia Plantation Gardens, Charleston, South Carolina
- New York Botanical Gardens
- Untermyer Park and Garden, Yonkers, New York
- Biltmore Gardens, Asheville, North Carolina
- Versailles, Ile-de France, Paris
- Jardin du Luxembourg, Paris
- Jardin des Tuileries, Paris
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Cape Town
- Le Jardin de Majorelle, Marrakech
- Bermuda Botanical Gardens, Bermuda